Xbox One

jjhii
jjhii posted this 27 January 2014

Can I run KODU on the Xbox One?

The is a feature request if it does not exist already, if it exist can someone tell me how to get it?

Thanks in advance

Post Edited 27 January 2014

Kodu Community Team
Admin
Kodu Community Team posted this 13 February 2014

Hi there!

Kodu is currently available on the PC and Xbox 360 only. Thanks for the feedback!

Linda
Linda posted this 19 November 2014

So if Kodu does not work on XBOX One, is Project Spark the same thing basically except written for XBOX One?

Stephen
Admin
Stephen posted this 19 November 2014

Project Spark is not the same as Kodu but they're very closely related.  Spark was created based on the success Kodu has had.  In some ways you can think of Spark as taking the programming ideas from Kodu and building out a big budget version of it.  Just to give you a rough idea, at its peak the Kodu team was 6 people,  I think Spark at one point reached 100.  If you've used Kodu then you will immediately be familiar with the WHEN/DO programming in Spark.

The differences are roughly:

• Kodu is more education focussed while Spark is more entertainment focussed.  Because of the education focus, we've spent quite a bit of time with Kodu making sure it runs well on older PCs.
  • Spark runs on Win8.1 and Xbox One.  Kodu runs on Windows XP, Vista, Win7 and Win8. For Win8 you can either run the desktop version or get the Win8 specifici version from the Windows Store.  There's also an Xbox 360 version of Kodu but that is no longer being kept up to date.
  • Kodu is a little simpler than Spark making it more approprite for younger kids, Spark's extra complexity is there to allow it to be a more flexible game creation tool.
  • They both use the same WHEN/DO style programming but Spark has many times the number of tiles that Kodu has.  One result of this is that the Spark version of the language is better for doing math whereas the Kodu version is fairly weak at math.
  • Kodu is completely free.  Spark is free to play but does offer some "for pay" downloadable content (DLC).  You can always play games created with DLC for free but if you want to use that content to create your own game you have to buy it.
  • Kodu supports multi-player on the same machine.  Spark support networked multiplayer along with multiplayer editing.
lepine
lepine posted this 26 November 2016

Project Spark has closed. So will Kodu be ported to XBox One ?

Stephen
Admin
Stephen posted this 28 November 2016

Right now we don't have any plans to port to Xbox One.  We are very resource limited and want to focus on PCs which are what most schools have.

Eduardo Pedra
Eduardo Pedra posted this 27 March 2017

It's so great to see a few people making a big difference! Kodu is very educational and I wanna thank you guys for the good work! As a teacher, I hope to contribute to the cause! 

Stephen Coy
Admin
Stephen Coy posted this 27 March 2017

Thanks Eduardo!

Alex Chambers-jones
Alex Chambers-jones posted this 04 April 2017

Hmm. Played this at school and wanted to continue at home on my Xbox  as our computer is from the 1980's. Oh well, can play at break. Did not realize you were so small!

Post Edited 04 April 2017