ProfessorKodu
ProfessorKodu posted this 28 June 2012

I know it's been suggested, because I, and many others, have requested this before in the past and it still hasn't been done yet. I am talking about online multiplayer. How great would it be to create a game and play with your friends across the world? As we all know, kodu is slowly dying, I believe that adding this feature will not only bring back to kodu to what it once was, but push it even further.

Kodu is a unique game. I believe that kodu can have more fans than just the handful it has now and that this will help boost it's ratings.

Post Edited 28 June 2012

Andrea
Andrea posted this 02 September 2016

smiley kitty

Stephen
Admin
Stephen posted this 06 September 2016

Online multi-player is difficult.  You have to be able to keep the worlds in sync.  In a first person shooter you can predict where players will move and then adjust when they are off a bit.  With Kodu you can't do this kind of prediction because a single keypress could create or destroy many characters.  In order to work correctly all the character "brains" would have to be exactly in sync.  We would basically need to do a complete rewrite to support this.

Another issue is how do we connect players with each other.  Maybe here we could copy Minecraft and just allow local connections.  It would definitely be easier to implement since we wouldn't need a server for hosting.  Plus it would have the benefit of keeping games local which is good for privacy and keeping unwanted players out.

As far as the "Kodu is slowly dying" comment, in June 2012, when the original post was written, we had ~18k new installations.  This past June we saw ~76k new installations.  These numbers come from our instrumentation reporting so do not count the people who turn off instrumentation.  Overall Kodu continues to grow steadily year over year.

maitha alzaabi
maitha alzaabi posted this 14 November 2017

mjp4ninbiunkmtkhny