New Update (December 21, 2015 -- Version 1.4.111.0)

Stephen
Admin
Stephen posted this 21 December 2015

Hi all, a new Kodu build is available! The version number is 1.4.111.0. This update features a brand new, optimized Installer for Kodu, fixes for the BBC micro:bit device, and general bug fixes.

KODU INSTALLER

The big feature for this update is an all-new, much improved Kodu installer. This new installer can automatically install external dependencies when necessary like .NET Framework and XNA Framework. Previously, these dependencies had to be installed manually. You’ll also be able to launch Kodu directly after installing so you can get right into creating a game!

BBC MICRO:BIT

We’re making it easier to use the BBC micro:bit with Kodu. In order to use the micro:bit, the micro:bit’s serial port driver needs to be installed. Kodu will now recognize when the driver is missing and initiate an install for you. We also fixed a bug where Kodu would unnecessarily “flash” the micro:bit each time you went to play mode. Now, Kodu only “flashes” the micro:bit device once and you’re good to go!

NEW LANGUAGES

We've added Hungarian, Chinese (simplified) and Chinese (traditional). Thanks to our community for doing this work! If you'd like to see Kodu in your language and are willing to do the translation let me know and I'll get you set up.

GENERAL BUGS

• Fixes for the font rendering system we introduced in our last update. On some machines using AMD Radeon graphics chipsets we have missing text on the menus. I'm still working to track this down but in the meantime we do have a work-around. You can run the Configuration Tool (grey icon on desktop) and check the box marked "Use SpriteFont Text Rendering". This will switch Kodu back to the old-style text drawing system. Note that this will limit some of the languages Kodu is available in, particularly the Asian languages will no longer work.
  • Improved messaging for errors in localization files – this helps our volunteer localizers find bugs!
  • We've implemented a change that should help prevent apples from falling through the terrain on slower machines. The fix isn't perfect but it's a lot better than it used to be.
  • Fixed a bug wqhen trying to mport multiple levels at the same time. Previously only the first level was imported, now they all are. If you see any problems with import/export please let me know.

• Fixed a minor bug with the positioning of the text balloons on tumbling objects (rocks, apples). It looks much better now.

• Fixed a problem with fish movement which had them jump out of the water in strange ways when they bump shore.

• When sharing a world with the Community site we now compress the data as it's sent. This should allow quicker sharing for large worlds and will hopefully prevent failures when uploading really large worlds.

Thanks! Please let us know if you come across any bugs or problems!

Jelle 1.0
Jelle 1.0 posted this 30 December 2015

Subject: Trouble with kodu game lab

Dear  mr. Stephen,

There is quite something wrong with my kodu game lab and I don,t know what to do with it. Today I started up my kodu game lab and all my worlds that I have created were gone. I,m still pretty upset because it took a lot of time to make all those games and now there just gone. An other problem is that all the games that have posted are gone as well and I can,t find them anymore on the kodu website. So afterall all my games are gone and I don,t know how I gen get them back could you please help my mr. Stephen.

Yours faithfully,

Jelle 

Cara
Cara posted this 05 January 2016

Hi,

I use System Center Configuration Manager to deploy Kodu. Where do I find the MSI for version 1.4.111.0?

Thanks!

Cara

Stephen
Admin
Stephen posted this 07 January 2016

Hi Cara,

With release 1.4.111.0 we now bundle the MSI inside of the EXE along with the files for the .Net and XNA versions Kodu needs.  I'm not familiar with System Center Configuration Manager.  Does it support deplying appplications from an EXE rather than an MSI?  If so, you should make that change.  If not, let me know and I can make the MSI available to you.

take care,

Stephen

Stephen
Admin

Hi Jelle,

This sounds strange.  Did anything change with your system since you last ran Kodu?  Even when Kodu is uninstalled and then reinstalled it shouldn't remove the worlds you've created.

Have you changes the Save Folder for Kodu?  If you run the COnfiguration Tool (grey icon on desktop) there is an option to enter a specific Save Folder.  If this has changed then Kodu is probably looking in the wrong place for the files.  To set it back to the default folder, just delete whatever is in the dialog.  It will then refill it with the default path.

Another, more subtle thing it may be is that you just changed your name.  If you go into the Load World menu and click on My Worlds we find your worlds by matching what we think is your creator name with the creator names saved with the worlds.  I sometimes run into this problem myself.  Normally I use "scoy" as my creator name but when I sign into KoduGameLab.com from within Kodu it changes my creator name to "Stephen" since that matches my sign-in name.  You can change what Kodu thinks is your creator name by saving a world and setting the creator name to whatever you want.  (After this you can then delete the world if you relaly didn't want it saved).  The new name you chose will now become your creator name until you either change it again or it gets changed because of signing in.

In the Load World menu, click on All Worlds instead of My Worlds and see if the worlds are still there.

take care,

Stephen

Stephen
Admin

For Cara or others in the same situation, here's a link to the 1.4.111.0 MSI file :

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14734224/KoduSetup_1.4.111.0.msi

Tom
Tom posted this 20 January 2016

Thank you for the MSI version. Please also provide it for future releases too.

Stephen
Admin
Stephen posted this 20 January 2016

Feel free to remind me if I forget.  :-)  I'm hoping that I can figure out how to make both available on the Downloads Center site.

Nigel
Nigel posted this 28 January 2016

Hi Stephen/Kodu developers

Great game app.  Just downloaded the MSI version from https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14734224/KoduSetup_1.4.111.0.msi  but when deployed via group policy it didn't apply the XNA Framework automatically, I expected it to as the .exe you have said it did. Can you check and re-engineer to install this as well if it does not exist at the time of installation please ?

Also I have other .exe I would like to deploy via GPO so out of interest how did you convert the .exe to .msi file please ?

Thanks

Stephen
Admin
Stephen posted this 28 January 2016

Hi Nigel,

The MSI version doesn't contain XNA or .Net 4.  It does do a check for these and if not run in silent mode will direct the user to download and install them before continuing on and installing Kodu.  So, if you want to install Kodu via a group policy you should also set things up to install .net 4 and XNA first.

XNA can be found here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20914

.Net 4 is a bit more difficult since it doesn't come in an MSI.  Here's a blog post explaining how to do this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2010/06/04/10020299.aspx

We didn't convert the exe to msi.  When we build, we create a Kodu MSI.  The EXE is then built as a container that wraps the Kodu, .Net 4, and XNA installers.

Hope this helps,

Stephen