posted this 21 December 2015
Hi all, a new Kodu build is available! The version number is 184.108.40.206. This update features a brand new, optimized Installer for Kodu, fixes for the BBC micro:bit device, and general bug fixes.
The big feature for this update is an all-new, much improved Kodu installer. This new installer can automatically install external dependencies when necessary like .NET Framework and XNA Framework. Previously, these dependencies had to be installed manually.
You’ll also be able to launch Kodu directly after installing so you can get right into creating a game!
We’re making it easier to use the BBC micro:bit with Kodu. In order to use the micro:bit, the micro:bit’s serial port driver needs to be installed. Kodu will now recognize when the driver is missing and initiate an install for you. We also fixed a bug where
Kodu would unnecessarily “flash” the micro:bit each time you went to play mode. Now, Kodu only “flashes” the micro:bit device once and you’re good to go!
We've added Hungarian, Chinese (simplified) and Chinese (traditional). Thanks to our community for doing this work! If you'd like to see Kodu in your language and are willing to do the translation let me know and I'll get you set up.
- Fixes for the font rendering system we introduced in our last update. On some machines using AMD Radeon graphics chipsets we have missing text on the menus. I'm still working to track this down but in the meantime we do have a work-around. You can run the
Configuration Tool (grey icon on desktop) and check the box marked "Use SpriteFont Text Rendering". This will switch Kodu back to the old-style text drawing system. Note that this will limit some of the languages Kodu is available in, particularly the Asian
languages will no longer work.
- Improved messaging for errors in localization files – this helps our volunteer localizers find bugs!
- We've implemented a change that should help prevent apples from falling through the terrain on slower machines. The fix isn't perfect but it's a lot better than it used to be.
Fixed a bug wqhen trying to mport multiple levels at the same time. Previously only the first level was imported, now they all are. If you see any problems with import/export please let me know.
Fixed a minor bug with the positioning of the text balloons on tumbling objects (rocks, apples). It looks much better now.
Fixed a problem with fish movement which had them jump out of the water in strange ways when they bump shore.
When sharing a world with the Community site we now compress the data as it's sent. This should allow quicker sharing for large worlds and will hopefully prevent failures when uploading really large worlds.
Thanks! Please let us know if you come across any bugs or problems!